About Me

My photo
Stay-at-Home Mom trying to make the most of nap times!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Is there a sewing gene?

"I have officially started teaching myself to sew." 

This is what I told my mom yesterday on the phone.  She proceeded to be VERY excited about my endeavor and told me that it should come naturally since I have a lot of family history with sewing.  Apparently Lillian's namesake (my great-grandmother) was a talented seamstress and a great-aunt was an excellent sewer as well.  My mom has also spent plenty of time rifling through pattern books and fabric
aisles.  I'm hoping I got the all powerful sewing gene!

So far I have read "most" of the general information in my SEW Everything Book, picked out a pattern (Easy Breezy Wrap Skirt) - check out another sewer's completed project here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/uppitygirl/2643788812/, bought my fabric, and last night I was able to cut out all but one piece.  I was too tired to finish the last piece so it will wait until we return from Phoenix.


A swatch of my fabric...isn't it pretty :)


Things that I have learned already:

- Our sewing kit came with very random thread colors including puke and neon green, but not a classic brown? 

- Sewing seems to involve a good amount of math which is just up my alley being a mathematician and all. 

- Ironing can be quite soothing if you envision it that way.

- And of course I've learned tons about fabrics, weaves, ribbons, buttons, and sewing supplies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment