About Me

My photo
Stay-at-Home Mom trying to make the most of nap times!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"Special Things"

In a former life (aka before Lillian), I was going back to school to become a preschool teacher...very fun, I know.  One of the classes was Math and Science for young children.  One of the topics was water this craft was shared by another student.  This is what I learned...

Coffee Filter Suncatchers

Supplies:
Coffee Filters (preferably white)
Washable Markers
Water
Spray Bottle, Dropper, Paintbrush, etc. to spread water

Note: Best to do this project outside or on a surface that can be wiped off

  • If the filter is not already folded in half, do so before coloring. 
  • Draw...be creative
  • Apply water to filter...as little or as much as desired...with any applicable tool ;)
  • Allow to dry

  • Tape to window for suncatcher effect (Picture to come)
Ideas for Extension Topics:
  • Colors (What colors did you use? When the blue & yellow mixed what color was made?)
  • Counting (How many colors did you use? Spray the paper 3 times.)
  • Science (Science - Watch how the water spreads out on the paper.  Open the filter to see what happened when you added the water.  Do you see a mirror image on your filter?  The water evaporates in the sunlight.)
I did this activity with my nephews when they were 3 and 6 and they dubbed the craft "Special Things."  They would request them every time I went to their house :)  I'm sure with supervision Lillian will be a pro at these in no time. 







No comments:

Post a Comment