I was so excited in May to find out that our good friends (Lillian's Godparents) were expecting their first baby. Even better, his due date was Lillian's birthday...or thereabouts. After getting through the summer, I started thinking about what we could get the little one for a baby gift. I decided to break out my crochet materials and start on a blanket for him.
I found a beautiful afghan in one of my books and decided it would be perfect. Now, I had made another baby blanket from the same book and it was a great size...our niece is 3 and still uses it. Turns out, I needed to pay a bit more attention to the final dimensions of a pattern, but more on that later.
After buying the yarn, I got started. This blanket was different from the others that I've made because you made the long strips and then pieced them all together at the end. That's why it was hard to make it smaller when I realized how big it would end up. I also had to buy a lot more yarn than the pattern specified...good thing Walmart is so close and had the right colors.
As usual, it took me a few rounds to figure out what I was doing wrong, so there was definitely some pulling out and redoing of the strips. It's still not perfect, but that's what makes it unique and special. Oh and I think the final dimensions were something like 4.5' x 6'.
I think the blanket is beautiful, although it's way too big and heavy for a newborn...sorry Miles, you'll have to grow into your blanket ;)
| Up close to the "ruffles" |
Looks great! But you're right, he will definitely need to grow into it :)
ReplyDelete