About Me

My photo
Stay-at-Home Mom trying to make the most of nap times!

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Brown Bear, Brown Bear Felt Project

Birthday season is in full swing around here...we know so many kiddos (and adults too) with birthdays in Oct.  Henry is our good friend that got the season off to a great start this past week by turning 2. 

I wanted to make him something special (as I do for all of Lillian's playgroup friends), so after much thinking and Internet searching, I decided on a felt board.  If you haven't seen one or had the opportunity to play with one, they are really neat because felt sticks to felt and you can make just about anything out of felt.  The possibilities are endless!!!  For my first felt board, I created a forest scene with a lake, trees, and plenty of room for the animals.  I wanted this to be educational for Henry, so I cut out animals in various colors and a different amount of each...now he can work on his colors, numbers, and animals :) 

This was a little bit harder/time consuming than I had planned, but hopefully he will enjoy it for a while.  I know that it was Lillian approved because I had to keep reminding her that it was for Henry and she couldn't play with it.  Don't worry, I've already told her I would make her one...maybe in time for our trip at the end of the month.

Here's a look at the finished product...


The glued on pieces


With the added animals...Henry can place them anywhere on the board :)


An envelope to contain the pieces and some Parent Ideas for a Parent & Me activity.
 It was amazing to see the ideas that people have for these boards and I saw more than one mom talking about a binder that she keeps each of the different activities in. 

Here are some other ideas:

  • Matching numbers to how many objects
  • Matching words to their object
  • Colors
  • Numbers
  • Stories (I plan to do Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, Goodnight Gorilla, and Goodnight Moon for Lillian since those are her favorites right now)
  • Poems
  • Farm Animals
  • Sea Animals
  • First Words
  • etc.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! Where did u get the felt at? And for us non artistic folks did u find animal shapes to trace? What is the board made from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! We used felt boards a lot in sunday school growing up. Also, if you don't want to cut everything out of felt, you can print pictures on cardstock and just add felt to the back-- works great!

    ReplyDelete