I was determined to get started early on Lillian's Halloween costume this year since we will be traveling right before the big day. I wanted something easier than last year (here's a link to the craziness then). Brent was thinking that she would make a cute Pebbles from the Flinstones, but I couldn't find any sewing patterns in English...and I wanted something cuter for the last year that I can sway her opinion :)
So one hot day, we took a trip to a local Halloween/costume store to see what was out there for toddlers. I wasn't too impressed with the selection, but we had fun looking at the store's entire selection of costumes. In the adult section, Lillian saw a picture of a woman dressed like a butterfly and said "butterfly, butterfly." I knew then that I would be making her a butterfly costume - or at least a pretty tutu to go with the wings I knew I would buy. I might also make her some antenna for her head, but I'm not sure yet since she won't keep anything like that on.
We're off to the fabric store to buy some tulle...when we stumble upon some pretty wings for a little girl. Perfect! So we snatch those up and then pick out a purple, and 2 shades of blue tulle to match. I find the elastic for the waistband and we're on our way home.
After a full afternoon cutting tulle into strips and then knotting them around the waistband, I have a finished costume. How much easier this was than last year!!!
For anyone interested in making a simple tulle tutu for your child, use a search engine and tons will pop up. You can specialize the skirt with bows, flowers, sequins (for older children), etc.
She's a doll!
ReplyDelete