Mom, Dawn, Lilla, Grandma...my models for crafty women.
Sandy...my first inspiration to learn a craft as an adult.
It all started one morning at work. My friend walked in with a shell-shocked expression on her face. We're both twenty-two, engaged, and living far away from our families.
Turns out, she's pregnant!
I start thinking about what it would be like to be in her shoes and decide that I should do something special for her and the baby. I instantly think of my mom who crochets blankets, call her up, and employ her to make the blanket.
Fast-forward a few months...baby is here and the blanket is not. As the months pass by, I realize that my mom is too busy to make the blanket. Instead of going to the store and buying a blanket like a normal person, I decide to make my own. Without experience in knitting, crochet, or sewing, I head over to our local Michael's.
Browsing through my choices, I decide to get a kit called "I Taught Myself to Crochet" by Boyle and some soft baby yarn.
At home, I spend much of my free time learning my new craft and about 6 months later as Sandy and the baby girl are getting ready to move across the country, I present my first hand-made blanket. The blanket is not even close to perfect, but I'm proud of what I made.
My only regret...I didn't take a picture (or I've lost the picture) of that blanket.
No comments:
Post a Comment