About Me

My photo
Stay-at-Home Mom trying to make the most of nap times!

Monday, January 31, 2011

All Zipped Up

After taking a break to rest my aching neck, I got back into the sewing projects in full force.  I will post a very cute project that I have been making for Lillian and some of her friends, but I need to deliver one more first. 

This post is all about my new skirt.  It's better than the last one (personal opinion), but still figuring out how to make a pattern that fits me well.  Since I'm so short (5'1 for those that care to know), I feel that I should shorten my skirts/pants appropriately.  Unfortunately, even after measuring, this skirt turned out a bit shorter than I would have liked...but it's still cute and my husband really likes it (of course). 

The pattern I used for this skirt was a Simplicity "Sew Easy" pattern.  It's the first pattern that I have made that wasn't in my SEW workshop book or my own disastrous design (see worm costume).  It was a little bit intimidating at first, and the big challenge was definitely the zipper.  I also learned about basting and twill tape.  The pattern didn't provide any info on completing the hem at the bottom of the skirt, so I used the basic instructions that my SEW Workshop book provided. 

Here were the things I learned from this project:

1. Visualize the pattern pieces together and read the instructions on the pieces before cutting...otherwise you may cut 4 pieces rather than 2 on a fold (yep, I did that).

2. Zipper feet can be difficult to install, especially if the directions are unclear and you are a beginner.

3.  Invisible zippers may be difficult to apply...try, try again...in the end, a zipper makes a much better closure for a skirt than a wrap.

4.  Don't get too bummed if the skirt ends up shorter than you had imagined, at least the men in your life will appreciate it!

This was a fun skirt to make and I will hopefully find time to make more of them in the future...it took me less than a week to make this one during naps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment